Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rome - Cacio e Pepe at Roma Sparita


I have been a fan of Anthony Bourdain for a long time.  I have been happy with his restaurant recommendations that I have tried.  If you watch his show, you may remember an episode on Rome that featured cacio e pepe, cheese and pepper pasta.  In the only time I can remember Bourdain failing to mention the restaurant name, he just referred to it as Restaurant X.  Five seconds of searching on the Internet will tell you Restaurant X is Roma Sparita in the Trastevere neighborhood.

We headed out to Trastevere to see what the hype was about.  I am glad I tried out their taglioni al cacio e pepe, but with some reservations.  It had a great cheese and pepper flavor balance with perfectly cooked pasta.  The dish was good.  It would very difficult to impossible in my opinion to truly make this dish great.  I will be probably be able to better picture the great version when I run into it.  The highlight of the dish is arguably the perfectly toasted cheese crust bowl the pasta is served in.  If I had a shorter stay in Rome, I don't think it would have been worth the trouble to make it out to Roma Sparita for this simple pasta dish.  I doubt this good version is that much better on an absolute scale than any version that someone puts a little effort into with quality ingredients.    




Their other speciality is oxtail.  Coda alla Vaccinara is a Roman oxtail stew.  I thought the meat was cooked decently tender.  I did think the dish lacked depth of flavor and was overly salty though.




To be healthy, we also had some greens.  I think it was swiss chard.  I do think the swiss chard was perfectly cooked with just a little garlic and spices.




Ristorante Pizzeria Roma Sparita
Piazza Santa Cecilia, 24 Roma - Zona Trastevere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...