Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lunch with a view #1 in Chamonix

We had been doing quite a bit of walking, cross training, and bunny hill hiking leading up to Chamonix.  Probably too much preparation as I wasn't that well rested as we started our real hiking.  For most trip logistics, I handle the planning.  I do a bunch of research to make sure we have the right mix of price, speed of transport, quality of lodging, and eats.    

For hiking, I don't like handling the details because I can't really tell the difference until I see pictures or I see the visuals on the actual hike.  All the Chamonix hiking and lift planning was expertly done by Laura and the Professor.  I just let them lead me in the direction to hike and I follow.  

On the first day there was an option to take a lift or hike four hours basically straight up.  We chose the option to hike four hours straight up.  I thought it was a great work out and just the right amount of uphill punishment to feel like an intense leg work out.  My hiking companions will claim that it looked like I was going to collapse during the last 500 meters.  

My favorite hiking snacks are potato chips, chocolate, and nuts.  On this hike, I didn't snack too much because the hiking coordinators promised me at least one dining option towards the end of the hike.  I think they were picturing sandwiches, I was picturing a hot cooked meal.  

After four hours of hiking up, there was a very rewarding payoff.  There was a mountain lodge that offered hot cooked food.  It also offered outdoor seating with mountain views.



I was confused by the flag flying whether we had somehow arrived in Switzerland.  This isn't a Swiss flag, but rather some Alp flag.


The special of the day was a skirt steak topped with some browned shallots with a side of potatoes au gratin.  The steak wasn't a gourmet steak, but the plate was plenty good enough as the alternative would have been simple sandwiches.



This is a local French Alpine dish where potatoes, bacon, cheese, and bread are baked and topped with an egg.  Very similar to an American breakfast skillet.


After the refueling mountain lodge meal we hiked up a little bit more to a second lift.  The second lift took us to one of the main viewing points in Chamonix.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...